Sunday 6 December 2015

Re-draft of Double Page Spread article

" Of all the places you’d expect to encounter Britain’s rising indie sensation, this isn’t one. We’re here in an old, run-down hotel overtaken by nature and greenery - very near to where the young star grew up! Outside, it’s a cold November morning amongst nature and the Shropshire-born idol is dancing and sitting on the knees of a broken mannequin.

Mia Lily became a star by performing in Birmingham New Street - just outside the shops, in the street. Passersby were taking photos and videoing her performance! And it ended up on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter - she was the talk of social media for weeks until Stranger Records (Lana Del Rey signed a recording contract with Stranger Records in 2011) contacted her offering her a recording contract! That was 14 months ago. Now? Her ambition? To make music history by becoming a world-wide sensation at the young age of seventeen! With her brand new album launched in the UK in October, Mia is FAR from your average ‘star’.

Mia Lily will be touring the UK and the States in the summer of 2016. Tour dates will be released next week and tickets can be bought on the 1st of February 2016. Visit her website at mialily.co.uk for more details.


It’s so lovely to be here this morning! It’s all so surreal! Just a year ago I was writing my first song ‘Universal’ with the help of my friend and now co-songwriter Hanna Spencer! She’s so talented, good at everything! I now have seven songs on an actual album - MY album!

My new album is called ‘Universal’, it was one of the first songs I’d ever written. It reminds me of how I felt at the time of writing it, I felt so small in this big world and undiscovered, really. I wanted to make an impact and the world. My album includes seven songs, ‘Universal’, ‘Game On’, ‘Holidays’, ‘Dazed’, ‘Exposed’, ‘Royals’ and ‘Fragile’. ’Fragile’ is my best selling single. It is my best according to how many times it’s sold, of course, but, in terms of how many people have said that the song has saved them, is the best, I think. ‘Fragile’ is very upbeat and catchy, but the tempo dies down and becomes a slow melody. People have said that the song sounded like I was saying not to give up. One of the lyrics is ‘Giving up is so easy’, and I think this reflects on how strong my fans are. Some of them are dealing with a lot of things and their only escape is through my music… Having that being said to you makes you feel so ambitious. I do. This is what I hoped. That people could feel something about my music.

I feel as though I’ve come so far in just fourteen short months! The highlight of my career has definitely been working with the gorgeous Lana Del Rey - she’s unbelievably talented and has been my inspiration for many years. When I signed my recording contract with Stranger Records, Lana Del Rey surprised me in the studio and we’ve been good friends ever since! Since meeting her in July 2014, I’ve had the greatest opportunity to have a photoshoot with her; it was killer! It’s definitely been crossed off my bucket list!

As a small-town star in Shropshire I’ve always had an individual style and attitude. I plan to mix things up the US. I always dressed differently and acted differently of that of my high school friends - I’ve always been an individual, never fitting into a category - much like my music! I still don’t know how people will react to my music, or if they would just categorise me as ‘that blonde British girl’ or not. And that makes me quite nervous. Not that I won’t be accepted, I don’t care about that. But, people not being able to relate or understand my music. I want to make people say, ‘What is she doing?’ She is so different.’ I want to be a role model. I want to do good by the world - make an impact on it. I want people to realise that being different is not a bad thing to be - in fact, it’s quite fun! It’s a big challenge, though.

I performed at Reading Festival this summer as a lead up to the Kaiser Chiefs. It was such an epic moment that I HAD to prepare for! They (the Kaiser Chiefs) were so supportive. It’s really bizarre to perform on stage then introduce them, the indie-rock sensation that is the Kaiser Chiefs. It was a really emotional moment for me. I’d only just signed my recording contract a few weeks before so it all just felt like a dream! But they were really cool, and I had a FaceTime rehearsal with Ricky, the lead vocalist, a few days before the festival. He said, ‘Just to make sure I don’t f**k up!’ It was nice to feel supported and have friends there, they really helped me deal with anxiety and cold feet! It was nice to have some normality!

For fun and hobbies? I’ve always been crazy about painting - it’s one of my favourite ways to pass time. It’s just so relaxing to have a paintbrush paint how you feel. I also love reading, especially poetry! I was such an artistic child! I tried to skateboard once… Let’s just say I was left with some pretty bruised knees and shins!


You can now download Mia Lily’s brand new album ‘Universal’ featuring best selling single ‘Fragile’ and six more exhilarating and passionate songs for £7.99 on the Apple App Store and Google Play. "


I redrafted my article as I felt the use of the questions asked by the interviewer was very unsophisticated, the way I have written it now feels more sophisticated and better suited to my magazine genre. I like the use of the drop cap at the beginning of the article as it draws the reader in and it is also quite different to a lot of indie magazines I've seen - I am following the same genre, but I want mine to be different as I wouldn't want my magazine to be competing in the market with another similar magazine. I still like the informal but slightly formal language, it shows that my magazine is suitable for my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment