Monday 5 October 2015

Evaluation of Preliminary Task

1. In what ways does your student magazine use, develop or challenge forms and  conventions of real media products?
My magazine uses the convention of having an eye catching title positioned at the top of the front cover. I have continuity by using the same title typography on both my front cover and contents page. The cover has a price, issue date, issue number and a barcode like traditional magazines.  The cover establishes a house style that is then continued throughout the magazine.
Moving on to the contents page I have arranged the page numbers in chronological order. I also created subheadings that stood out. The subheadings are bold and black and white (like the masthead). The colours established by the cover as the house style have been continued so there is a clear link between the pages.  I have also introduced a website to subscribe by so my readers can read my magazine anywhere.

2. How does you student magazine represent particular social groups?
The social group I have represented is students. Particularly young students in a college or a sixth form (not in University). I have represented them by using informal language but in an adult or grown up way. It’s not too informal because if it was, my target audience may think the magazine was aimed at a younger more juvenile audience. The writing is fairly ‘chatty’ which appeals to a younger audience, I think.
The ratio of text to pictures is small – I have more text than photos as I think the magazine would seem to childish if it contained too many photos. I felt as though too much text would draw away from the idea of a student magazine.

3. What kind of media institution might distribute your student magazine and why?
My college magazine is ideal for publicity for Ludlow College as, I think, it speaks of the college is a very positive way which would attract people to join or visit the college at some point. Local businesses may publish the magazine as I have included a ‘What’s On This Week?’ page (that’s in my subheadings). They may want to gain publicity too, and perhaps with a younger audience. They may want their business to appeal to a younger audience as they may have products that would sell well with them.

4. Who would be the audience for your student magazine?
I think my magazine is aimed and suitable for both genders, but perhaps for 15-19 year olds. 15 year olds may want to read the magazine as at this age they will be thinking about what college they will be attending (if they decide to carry on with their education that is). Their interests could be anything from photography to recreational activities. I would like my magazine to cover all aspects of interests and leisure activities.

5. How did you attract / address you audience?
When researching my target audience, I created a small questionnaire for them to fill out; I also interviewed students at my own college. I paid attention to what feedback they gave me. When asked about what they would like to be featured in a student magazine, I had responses such as music (new releases etc), film and television reviews, sports reviews, short stories submitted by fellow students, etc. My magazine is attractive to my target audience as it features bright, vibrant, eye-catching colours in the central image.
When asked about the price of the magazine, many students said that it should be free; I agree with them. Many useful magazines that students want are not free and are actually quite expensive. So, if they saw something available that is actually free, many students will grab it!

6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing the student magazine?
I have used Blogger, InDesign, PhotoShop and a digital camera to create the front cover and contents page of my student magazine.
I have used Blogger to post my findings, research and my finished work. Blogger is used to store all my work. I found Blogger fairly straightforward and easy to use. 
I have used InDesign to create both pages of my magazine, I have learnt how to place my own images onto my page, turn the image into a high quality image, add text, add shapes and fill them with colour and text. I had many difficulties in the beginning (like finding my way around the software) but practising over time helped and I managed my time well so if I did get stuck with anything I could've asked for help. I now know how to orientate myself around the software for future reference / work.
I used PhotoShop to edit my own photos in the circles on my front cover and contents page. I used saturation and brightness to make the image 'pop', and I also learnt how to orientate myself around the software for future reference / work.
I used a digital camera to take photos to be featured on my student magazine. I already knew how to work my camera, but practise always helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment