Tuesday 22 September 2015

Initial Ideas

HOUSE STYLE / BRAND IDENTITY
I want my house style / brand identity to create unity - no chaos. I want it to be in the same place on every page it's featured on. I want it to be simplistic but stylish. I can create unity by using the same colours throughout the front cover and the contents page, also by using the same font. The typography can be the same throughout the two pages but perhaps in different sizes and colours (white and black to create the minimalism) depending on the background. If my student / college magazine includes music, I will be sure to keep the same genre - it will most likely be an alternative / indie music genre featuring artists and bands like The Pretty Reckless, The Neighbourhood, Of Monsters and Men, Two Door Cinema Club, The 1975, and Lana Del Rey.

MODE OF ADDRESS
This is the way(s) in which a magazine builds a relationship with and speaks to its audience. I will include features such as exclamation marks to excite the readers about a particular event that may be happening. Imperatives to suggest things to the reader, such as "Take a look at page 16 for revision tips!". Personal pronouns that are directed to the reader, which makes it stand out. Puns / informal language techniques to create a fun magazine.

CENTRAL IMAGE
This image will strongly relate to the house style / brand identity. I will of course position it centrally as this will be the main focal point of the front cover of my magazine. I want to create a fun magazine that also touches on serious issues that college students can read. For example, I could produce an image that shows students laughing and smiling with their friends with books and revision notes around them. This connotes that it is a learning / help magazine that is also for fun, too.

CONTENT
As I want this to be a fun student / college magazine, I think I should include events, reviews from students about new books / television shows / films / performances etc, and a section about what's current - I could include information about things that are happening in the upcoming month in the local and surrounding area that students may be interested in. I could also include a subsection on an advice page (for the serious side of the magazine), discounts students can get from their favourite shops etc. I want my content to be organised and minimalistic. Minimalism connotes a sense of superiority.

USE OF LANGUAGE
I will use short sentences that are informal in places to renew the 'fun' side of the magazine. Students don't want a page full of long winded sentences. Short sentences allow readers to skim the page and pick out the words, or pages, they want to read.

COLOUR PALETTE
Again, as this will be a fun magazine, I want to include bright primary (and maybe secondary) colours as I think this will relate to the genre of my magazine very well. A few neutral colours can be included to connote the serious side of the magazine. 

USE OF FONTS
I want a sense an continuity throughout my magazine so I will use the same font throughout the front cover and cover page. Too many typography styles creates chaos and busyness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment